For those of you that are just now finding our blog and don't know what on earth we're talking about, feel free to go back to our first post on September 13th to read the outline for our challenge.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Getting old sucks . . .

So I took my measurements just a couple of weeks before my 31st birthday and they were obviously not anywhere near where I wanted them to be - but when I took them this morning they were even further from that point. What the heck?!? I'd been eating - moderately - better and taking my dog out regularly and yet I was still getting even bigger. I guess it's true what they say about hitting a certain age and having your metabolism drop and mine obviously did just that. So I guess it's time to make so REAL changes in my life style if I ever want to feel good about myself again - so here goes!
After talking to Maria I decided that I'd jump start our fitness challenge by starting with a low carb diet for the first month or so. Wow! So much harder than I thought it would be! It seems like everything is packed full of carbs except meat. I don't eat that much meat so it's going to be difficult so if anyone's got any pointers on that one then bring it on!
I'm looking through my milestones and I think they'll need some tweaking too but I think we'll all find that along the way. However, I think it's going to have to wait until tomorrow because it's late and I'm tired after my hour at the gym tonight.
Oh, and I thought I'd pass these on. I've been using this website: www.sparkpeople.com to track all of my food (consider it an online food journal) and my workouts. It will help you calculate how many calories you should be eating and help you see patterns in your eating habits. And in my search through their site earlier tonight I found a pretty cool link that will help you to calculate the carb, calories, fat and everything else in any homemade dishes - just plug in the ingredients and the portion sizes and it will do it all for you.
xoxo
Jj

3 comments:

ALICIA said...

HEY YOU GUYS LOOK GREAT! EMAIL ME & I WILL INVITE YOU TO VIEW MY BLOG. GAEKKER@ALTAZIP.COM

MJ said...

Thanks for the tip Janis! I will use the online food journal for sure!

mP said...

Yes, Janis, thanks for the tip. I have been considering an on-line food journal as well and this one sounds great!