For those of you that are just now finding our blog and don't know what on earth we're talking about, feel free to go back to our first post on September 13th to read the outline for our challenge.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

MJ: I Need Help Calculating The $

OK...After reading what everybody posted today, I realized I forgot to calculate my $ amount earned this week. I need to know how much to put in. The problem I'm having is figuring out what my work outs are worth. I read back over the original guidelines and I 'm still not sure. I don't do cardio because of my hip and I'm not sure what counts as toning. Would it be OK if I list my workouts here on the blog and you guys can help me figure out what I owe this week? Then, I'll use it as a guide from now on.

I walk with a friend of mine every morning M-F for 45 minutes. It is up hill halfway and downhill the other half, obviously. The distance is just over 2 miles.

I also work out 2 night a week for 30-60 minutes down at our gym. I am on the treadmill and so I usually keep track of the calories I burn rather than distance. I shoot for 200+ each night. I can't run so I usually increase the grade every minute or so until it is at the max and then I go back down every minute or so. Am I making sense?

Anyway, I also have a 15 minute workout that is similar to power yoga and focuses on breathing. I love it and I did it 3 times last week. This week I'm adding an ab video that doesn't take long. It's 200 crunches.

So, girls, what do you think?

2 comments:

JjHansen said...

K, in my humble opinion . . each of your morning walks count as a cardio workout as long as you're getting your heart rate up. But if you're not really feeling it then maybe count each one as a half. And then your time on the treadmill should count for cardio too. And as for toning - crunches, lunges, push ups, etc. All of those types of things count. Their purpose isn't to get your heart rate up (although they can and often do)so much as build and tone the muscles.
I didn't give you an exact cash number but does that answer your question enough that you can calculate it??

mP said...

MJ - you are freaking adorable. Just TOO darn CUTE for words! Walking IS cardio. Getting on the treadmill IS cardio. Anything that is going to increase your heart rate and get you at least slightly breathless is giving your heart a work out and is, therefore, cardio. So if your treadmill work outs at the gym are at least 45 mins then you can count those. Your walks with your neighbor should count as well. As for toning - Power Yoga would fit that category, but I think your 15 minute video is too short (right, Janis?) But perhaps combined with your abs video you should hit 25 mins easily. Hope this helps.