For those of you that are just now finding our blog and don't know what on earth we're talking about, feel free to go back to our first post on September 13th to read the outline for our challenge.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Yummy Chicken Salad

Okay, I made the best salad last night and it was low carb and low calorie and WAY easy (only took about 15 minutes) so with the holiday's coming up I had to pass it on.

And, no, I didn't take the picture. I stole it from the website where I found the recipe.

Pomegranate Chicken Salad with Almonds

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup arils from 1 large Pomegranate
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1 pound cooked chicken breast meat, cut into
    1-inch chunks (I boiled the chicken to save on the calories from the oil - and I put some parsley in the water while it was boiling to infuse the flavor a little bit)
  • 1/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
  • 1 chopped apple (I prefer red delicious but next time I think I might use both a red apple and maybe a Granny Smith)
  • 1/2 cup chopped or thinly sliced celery
  • 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley (I just used dried parsley - just as good, I'm sure)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onion
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)(didn't have any curry powder so I didn't use it but I love curry so it could make for an interesting additional flavor)
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin oil
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I didn't think I would like it but I tried it with a little salt and it really brought out the flavors so try it!)

Directions:
  • 1. Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate underwater to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve 1 cup of arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)

  • 2. In a large mixing bowl combine the pomegranate arils, raisins, chicken, almonds, apple, celery, parsley, green onion and curry powder.

  • 3. In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil and vinegar. Pour in chicken mixture, mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I then mixed one cup of the chicken salad with 2 cups of green salad and tossed it to spread the dressing a little bit. It is so AMAZINGLY good! I was walking around the office with my salad this morning making everyone try it because it was so freakin' awesome. I think I'm going to triple the recipe and make it for the fam for Thanksgiving. Now I'm wishing I hadn't eaten it all and that I still had some to munch on this afternoon.

PS If my calculations are right, here is the nutritional information: 17 carbs, 6 grams fat, 3 grams protein, 141 calories.

1 comment:

mP said...

Jj - it looks so yummy! Thanks so much for sharing!