For those of you that are just now finding our blog and don't know what on earth we're talking about, feel free to go back to our first post on September 13th to read the outline for our challenge.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

MJ

We all know that butterflies like flowers...


Well, this butterfly loves...

CAULIFLOWER!!!


Kind of a weird way to start a post but it is what it is.

While I love doing our fitness challenge and reporting in each week, I am finding myself kind of short on words as far as physical fitness goes.

I hope you each know that I'm so proud of you! You ladies are inspiring to me. Consider me to be your personal cheering section every time you do a workout. But I'm sorry to say that I won't be hiking any mountains or running any races anytime soon. Right now, my hip is not responding well to any exercises that I've been doing. I'm losing leg strength and my balance is getting worse. Never fear! Physical therapy will help me get better! But for right now, I have to face the facts. I won't be exercising for a little while. I have to focus on letting my body heal. So... I am going to work on another aspect of fitness, which I feel is equally as important as physical activity.

Nutrition
.

That is why I'm going to tell you about my favorite vegetable.

Glorious Cauliflower

Serving size: About a Cup

Calories 25
Total Fat 0g
Sodium 40mg
Total Carbohydrate 5g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Protein 2g

And, it will give you 100% of the daily Vitamin C you need. I know that a lot of people think cauliflower is bland. (Kisses to you my dear Jj, who is thinking that it has more to do with the texture.) But I LOVE IT. I like to eat it raw, tosssed with a little bit of fat free Italian dressing. A friend of mine actually substitutes cauliflower for half of the potatoes in her mashed potato recipe. And mashed cauliflower can be substituted for mashed potatoes in the South Beach Diet. So, there you have it.

No more free days for me since I am not exercising regularly.
$3.50 for F&V -- Every day this week!
$2.00 for workouts.
$4.00 stretching and yoga milestones met. I forgot to post those. Yay.


Oh, and get this, I lost another pound. Hmmm.

xoMJ

2 comments:

JjHansen said...

Next time can you feature something that I can stand eating like strawberries or maybe even chocolate? Or maybe even chocolate dipped strawberries? And you're totally right. When I saw the pic at the top the first thing that popped into my mind was a memory of handling those huge chunks of chalk that is used in gymnastics. I swear the look the same.

Anyway, I agree, nutrition is just as important as exercise. It's food that makes us fat and I believe that food can make us thin again as well. Keep us updated on the physical therapy.

xoxo

mP said...

I LOVE CAULIFLOWER! And get this - the first time I ever had it was at our New Years Eve party! I was even going to do a blog post on it - that's how much I love it.
Good luck with the physical therapy. I hope that we can get you better soon.