For those of you that are just now finding our blog and don't know what on earth we're talking about, feel free to go back to our first post on September 13th to read the outline for our challenge.

Thursday, December 25, 2008

MJ Let's go H2O!!!

Merry Christmas!

Thank goodness this is the only time of year that plates of fudge show up randomly at my door!

Still limping along this week and so I have cut back my workouts to take some of the stress off of my hip. I need to change things up for a little while. It's been hard because really miss my daily fitness routine. I think that talking with my workout buddies is just as important for me as the walking is. Only for different reasons.



To avoid feeling frustrated, and to maintain some semblance of control over my life, I have decided to change my focus this week. I need to work on things that I can control rather than things I can't, like my hip. Honestly, "hip" is almost becoming a bad word in my vocabulary these days.

So, this next week, I'm going to focus on water intake.

I'm still fighting a cold and we all know the drill, "Plenty of fluids with those antibiotics." Besides, I think that water intake is the thing that has helped me the most with this challenge. I love water!!! A friend of mine who also happens to be a chiropractor once gave me a formula for water intake. Here it is:

Take the number of pounds you weigh, divide that number in half and drink that many ounces of water a day.

Let's say I weigh 100 pounds (FYI- I do weigh 100 pounds, according to my broken bathroom scale. So does Brady! Ha ha ha. The first time I stepped onto it and it read 100 pounds, I laughed my head off for the rest of the day. I am almost 5' 8" and so 100 pounds is just not happening for me, ever. And Brady is over 6' so it really isn't happening for him!)

Anyway, back to the formula:

100/2=50

The number you get (50 in this case) is the number of ounces you should drink everyday.

So, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should drink 60 ounces of water a day. If you weigh 140 then drink 70 ounces a day. And to use Brady as an example, because I can, if you weigh 223 then you should drink 111.5 ounces a day.

The chiropractor said that water helps with weight loss, digestion and your immune system as well as other things. I can confirm that it helps with digestion. I also know from personal experience that it helps maintain a healthy immune system. But I've been drinking a ton of water and have had no weight loss. I do imagine that if someone is well over their healthy weight range then water would definitely help them with weight loss, if for no other reason than filling their stomach and keeping them from eating as much. I wonder if any of you ladies have found water to be beneficial to weight loss...?

Now, this week I will:
Drink a glass of water as soon as I wake up.
Drink a glass of water before every meal.
Drink a glass of water before every workout.
Drink a glass of water before I go to bed.

I will also continue to stretch every night because I feel so great when I do. As for working out, we'll see what happens.

Hope you ladies have a great week! And if you have an overload of fudge at your house like I do, I encourage you to drink a glass of water before taking a piece!


$5


xoMJ

1 comment:

mP said...

I haven't noticed huge differences with water. But I have noticed that I understand my body better in that - when I AM thirsty - I recognize that it's actually thirst and doesn't feel like munchies or hunger or something like that.
I tried to drink about 60 oz of water a day - i felt like I was going potty ALL THE TIME! So now I just focus on drinking it as often as I can stand. Drink it over any other option.