For those of you that are just now finding our blog and don't know what on earth we're talking about, feel free to go back to our first post on September 13th to read the outline for our challenge.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ode to a New Scale . . by Jj

So this morning I ran down to the basement after my shower to weigh in (on my roommates scale which is why it's in the basement) and weighed myself but then remembered that I hadn't gone to the bathroom yet so I ran back up to my bathroom and then back down and by running up those two flights of stairs, peeing and then running back down those two flights of stairs - I somehow gained a pound. And with that, I think it's time for my own scale. I'll be hitting Target on payday to invest in one of my own that I can trust because there is obviously something wrong with that one. So when I get my new scale I'm going to start the weight loss milestone over and go from there.

I got to thinking earlier this week about something Maria said about gaining a pound on her free day so I thought I'd check it out for myself. I didn't quite understand how that could really happen when normally it takes weeks to put on weight and it's usually so gradual that you don't even notice until eventually you just can't button your pants anymore. So I put it to the test. I weighed myself Saturday morning and then went to town (I was feeling deprived so I really kinda gorged myself on the Halloween candy which really may have been my downfall). I then weighed myself again Sunday morning and I'd gained not one, but two and a half pounds! Luckily, I was able to take if off again before this mornings weigh in but it made me think. If I'd been more careful on my free day rather than just letting all hell break loose on my diet, would I be two pounds lighter now? I guess I need to learn some discipline when it comes to free days and still be a little more careful than I was . . and then I need to get a new scale. ;-)

And now for the actual report . . while I didn't lose any weight this week (I totally blame the scale), I did lose an inch around my waist (milestone #1), an inch around my thighs (milestone #2) and an inch around my muffin top (milestone #3) which is the one that I've really been waiting for. I can handle having to squish myself into my pants as long as I'm not spilling out over the top once I get there so I guess I'm on my way. Whoohoo!

So, with workouts, diet and milestones, I'm depositing $15 this week. Ya know, I think I may have to rewrite my milestones or I'm going to be broke before we're half way through the year! But that's good right?

Another note . . Marion and I were talking the other day and she suggested we pick a destination for our trip now so that we can get a basic idea of what it's going to cost us to get there. She thinks it might be a motivator to work harder. Originally, I'd set it up so that the amount of money we had would determine where we were going. Which I guess is still the case, right? If we don't have enough in the end to go where ever we'd originally planned then we can have a backup plan or maybe extend the challenge until we have the money. So now it's your turn to chime in . . what do you guys think?

3 comments:

mP said...

Jj - Yes, buy a new scale. And make sure it is a digital one so that you can be as accurate as possible. Also, with a digital one - if you are getting varied readings within a short amount of time you know the batteries need to be changed. I wish that was the problem with my scale sometimes - I thought it was not at all possible to have put on 4 lbs in a week, but when I stepped on it again I got the EXACT same reading. :(
I think picking a place right now is a great idea. Especially if we want to try and use some or all of my worldmark credits to get a place to stay - booking a year out is always best for availability. And we can cancel or make changes with no penalty upto 60 days before. At least it's something.
I hope you do go broke with your milestones. You are a rockstar!

MJ said...

You are awesome! I hope you find a great scale! Quick question, Don't you have a bathroom downstairs? That is a little off topic :) Just wondering.

So, as far as the vacation goes, I'm voting for someplace warm and sunny! When exactly are we going? September? I can't wait! I'd love to do a cruise or something like that!

Keep up the good work! You are making a lot of great progress! One more random question for you, are you still using the fitness ball as an office chair?

JjHansen said...

Yes, yes you are right. I do have a bathroom and I was actually standing in it when I was on the scale. It is however, Melissa's bathroom and I don't like to use it. I also ran past the bathroom on the ground floor twice (up and down) on my jog but I don't like to use that one either because there is rarely toilet paper in there (I refuse to refill it when I don't use it so I leave it up to the roommie and she never puts any in there).

And yes, I do use the fitness ball at work. I can't use it all day because sitting on it for that long starts to hurts my back but I can easily get in a couple hours of tightened abs everyday. I also have a 6" rubber ball that I keep at work that I squeeze between my knees while I'm sitting at my desk. Don't keep track of how many sets I do because I'm busy doing other things so I can't count but I don't care. I'm working on my inner thighs and who couldn't use a little help there, right?