For those of you that are just now finding our blog and don't know what on earth we're talking about, feel free to go back to our first post on September 13th to read the outline for our challenge.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Why Can't I Be Incredible?

How much would I have to weigh or how big would I have to get before I can say I'm trying to lose weight and people would be supportive and say "good for you" instead of "you don't need to lose weight"? Am I expected to get to clinically overweight, socially overweight, obese, or morbidly obese? I do know from personal experience that if you're simply approaching clinically overweight you can't expect any support from others. But why is that?

I'm all for loving yourself no matter what size, shape, or weight you are. But why should I have to settle? What if I'm not happy with sitting on the fence of overweigtness? (if I may be so bold as to make up a word here.) Why should I be fine with a weight that is still within "healthy" (albeit JUST barely) when my lifestyle isn't healthy and my diet isn't healthy - I've just been fortunate thus far with my metabolism and my genetics? I don't think I should wait until my metabolism is no longer in my favor to make a decision to change and actually get a little support.

My doctor told me I have an 80% chance of developing diabetes in my lifetime. Do I sit around and wait to see if I’m just lucky enough for that 20%? Do I wait until I’m pre-diabetic or diabetic to start taking control of my health? At what point is it acceptable for me to decide that I’m going to do everything I possibly can to avoid that 80%?
When I've told people I’m trying to lose weight, or I’m trying to make better food choices, or I’m going to the gym everyday they often say, “You don’t need to do that.” “You don’t need to lose weight.” “You can eat this.” “You’re ok.” “You look fine.” What is their purpose to saying those things? Are they just trying to be polite? Do they say that because they think I want to hear that? They certainly aren’t doing me any favors and they come off as very discouraging. Why don't they want me to be the best that I can possibly be? Why should I settle for ok? Why should I settle for fine? Why shouldn't I be amazing? WHY CAN'T I BE INCREDIBLE?

I want to reiterate .... No, it's not just about the weight. It IS about being healthy. It's also about being happy with myself. I may say that I need to lose weight and it isn't about the actual weight it's about being tone. I could never lose another pound and be perfectly happy as long as I continue to get tighter and firmer. But also, even if THAT NEVER happened. I could accept that and be happy as long as I knew I was strong, healthy, and in the best physical condition I was capable of.
I know that when people hear, "I want to lose weight" they equate that to "I'm fat". Because of this I need to make a change. I need to make a change in my vocabulary. I need to stop using phrases like "lose weight" or the word "fat" (not that I use it often). And I need to start using words like healthy, fit, tone, active, endurance, and strength.

To those of you who have offered and continue to offer me support - thank you! To my Butterfly Girls - thanks for being a part of this journey with me. I have faith that someday every one of us is going to be incredible.

3 comments:

MJ said...

Maria, I know what you mean. I have felt like that a lot. I guess people are awkward creatures and they never know what to say. Maybe it's going out on a limb for them to just say, "Hey, good for you!"

I do want you to know that I'm using you as my role model because I admire your dedication and I think you look amazing. I am proud of you for choosing to make this a priority in your life. You make me want to work harder. Thank you!!!

You know what? The 4 of us will never tell someone that they don't need to work out. We will always support others who embark on a program to make their lives better. This challenge will change us forever. In fact, it has already changed me. I'm loving the journey so far and I'm glad we're doing it together!

JjHansen said...

I've been thinking about this since we talked about it when you posted. And I've come to this conclusion . . people say things like, "You don't need to lose weight" and other comments because they don't know how to respond without sounding like they're criticizing you. If they agree with you then they sound like they're saying they think you're fat even if you're not and that's not what they think. And because of the whole perception of losing weight meaning you're obese they don't know how else to react. By nature, I think we are an awkward group of people.

I think I'm rambling. Does that make any sense?

no1rachel said...

here here :)