For those of you that are just now finding our blog and don't know what on earth we're talking about, feel free to go back to our first post on September 13th to read the outline for our challenge.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ode to a New Scale, Part II . . . by Jj

Something seems to be in the air this week . . I've felt totally unmotivated and like I wasn't making any progress all week - and my feelings were right. Since I'm starting over with my new scale I have no idea if I've lost any weight but I will tell you this . . it's one of those fancy schmancy scales that measures my body fat, body water, muscle mass and bone mineral mass. And I learned way more about myself than I ever wanted to know (however, had the measurements been positive I probably would have been excited). Now I've got to figure out what all of them mean and what I need to change to make them better. Like for instance, I learned that within the last six months I went from just fine on the BMI scale - to disgustingly obese. All while fitting into the same jeans (although admitidly not comfortably). How does that happen?? Obviously I've lost muscle mass and gained fat to replace it . . but that will change. I refuse to jiggle in places I didn't know could. Of course, I don't think those scales are totally accurate either so I've got to weight myself everyday (ugh) and keep track of the numbers so I can figure out an average for the next month and then I'll be able to get a little more out of it.

Anyway, on to the minimal positives that I have for the week . . for the first time I didn't lose any significant inches that fit into my milestones, althougth I did lose them in random other places which I know cuz clothing is fitting differently - but that still doesn't make it any less depressing, by the way. But I did however accomplish one goal that I didn't think I'd reach for months . . .

On Saturday I ran an 8:12 mile! I totally passed my goal of a 9 minute mile by 48 seconds!

But now for the rest of the story . .

I was waiting for a phone call from my Mom who was waiting for me to join her at a wedding reception that evening so I took my phone with me in Chuck's backpack and had to stop and pause my timer to answer the phone half way through my run. So technically I had about a minute and a half break which gave me the chance to catch my breath and rest and then I was able to finish the mile in record time. So now I'm wondering . . does that count? Technically I did finish it and I did run the entire mile - just not in one stretch. So I'm taking a vote . . does it or does it not count as my milestone? If yes, then I'll be depositing $10 this week, and if no then it will just be $8. And as for my other new milestones . . One freakin day of not getting my 8 cups of water and fruits and veggies! I so need to be better on Sundays! So those two both started over again on Monday. One day I'll get on top of these things . . . (don't hold your breath, ladies).

3 comments:

mP said...

Jj - Your scale sounds really snazzy! I'm sort of jealous! Mine does body fat, but I don't think it's accurate at all. And it's depressing, too. It gives you three fitness levels to chose from and my body fat % went from 21.2 at the highest fitness level to 21.4 at the middle to 21.6 at the least active level. Makes me feel like working out isn't all it's cracked up to be. I need to grab someone at the gym and have them measure it for me.
(Bridgette Jones calls those trouble areas her "wobbly bits" and I LOVE IT! But I hope not to have anymore wobbly bits soon.)
As for your mile - rest or no rest it's awesome! We can all vote, but I think it really comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I think it's an accomplishment no matter what. But you really have to go with how good you feel about it.
Congrats either way!
Oh, and this whole support system really helps keep me motivated, too.

no1rachel said...

That mile is awesome. I agree with Maria that it is your call! Keep up the awesome work!

MJ said...

Yep, your call...You are very awesome by the way!!!

So, how much was this scale of yours? I might need to invest in one!